Wednesday, February 2, 2011

SSRJ #1 Chopin

During the first run through of Chopin's The Story of an Hour I didn't really connect until I read "She did not hear the story as many women have".  At this point I smiled because I had a feeling I knew where the story was heading.  Even with the foreboding I felt myself get tight chested as something  was coming to her and she was waiting for it fearfully.  I felt as if I was walking in Louise's shoes with her.  The story took me through the lows and the highs just as a good story should.

Chopin obviously had a very firm grasp of the tumultuous nature of marriage and even though marriage in that time was considered more opressive due to the disadvantages for women, it does not take away from the constraints of marriage even in the face of love.  I believe Louise did love Brently, but this does not change the nature of marriage. Two people come together and make one life.  There is give and take and if one person feels completely carefree and able to do whatever they want then I will bet there is another person in that relationship completely oppressed. 

I absolutely love the description of what was going on outside the window.  The picture of Spring and a wonderful day just outside her current situation.  The trip down the stairs with the resolve of a new life and then how casually all of that ended with a husband walking in from work like he does everyday.  The shock of how seriously everything changed to a person with a fragile heart was too much.  For those of you looking to villianize Louise then the fact that now Brently is the one who is free should make this story appeal to everyone.  Just remember, life is far from fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment