Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hemingway Extra Credit

My early life was extremely sheltered, I was raised in a Mormon household and pretty much had all Mormon friends.  I attended seminary in the morning before school and was the Young Women’s president at one time.  I left home at 17 and decided to see the world.  I traveled to other countries, lived in a few different places and saw things that I had only read about.  My life completely changed and when I returned home I was a different person.  During my time away I did things that people I grew up with would have judged and learned in my time of freedom that the world is much more complicated than I had known.  The world is filled with many colors of gray and nothing was black and white for me anymore.  Even though the people I grew up with were the same, I was not and I no longer felt comfortable around them or had anything to talk about.  I can see how Krebs feels seeing another side of the world and humanity.  He seems to only feel comfortable around other soldiers because they have seen some of the things he has seen and felt the fear that he felt.  He has done things his Mother would not be proud of and his mother can never comprehend what he has been through.  His and my alienation is self inflicted and not necessarily a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment